Adam Fuss creates art to explore life itself. Much of his work includes natural life, usage of florals, human form, water, and smoke often using photogram techniques to expose the natural images formed on the paper. Born in England in 1961, Adam was exposed to photography as a young adult after moving to Australia with his mother following the death of his father. Once he found an interest in photography Adam began experimenting with different techniques and exhibited many images in galleries. As his work progressed he received great attention for his works, which then were acquired by different museums for their collections.
Theia, 2026
pigment print, 45 x 65-1/8 inches (framed) [114.3 x 165.4 cm]
This piece really sticks out to me. The contrast between the beauty of the greenery of the flowers and the way that they are presented really pulls me in. The flowers crushed and destroyed, mixing the colors until it is almost muddy and unrecognizable creates a texture that feels a little uncomfortable and saddening. Especially on a black background that seems almost ridged, it brings forth the idea of how even destroyed beauty is beautiful. But it’s interesting the more I look at it the less random it seems and the more pattern and organization I notice. The organizing of yellows, pinks, purples, and whites used a background outline to highlight the brightness found in the colors of the flowers.
The name of the collection Theia that this piece is a part of refers to the Greek Goddess Theia who is known as the goddess of sight, prophecy, and brilliance. With that in mind it makes me think about her position as the goddess of sight. Just like how I mentioned earlier about how the longer you look at this image the more you see. To me it’s like the opposite of a Monet, the farther away I look the more abstract it seems, but the closer I look the more I see in the image. But throughout the collection of Theia, there is a cohesive chaos that I notice. All the pieces look like they are meant to be together but also look nothing like one another.
No comments:
Post a Comment